- 15g Butter
- 20g Plain Flour
- 250g White Onions peeled and thinly sliced
- 25ml Burren Balsamics' Roast Onion Vinegar
- 750ml Beef Stock (could use a vegetable stock)
- 20g Demerara Sugar
- Salt & Pepper
- 100g Gruyere Cheese grated (mature cheddar would be fine)
- Heat the butter in a suitable sized saucepan over a moderate
- Add the prepared onions and cook gently for approx 20 minutes
until evenly browned, add the sugar halfway through this stage .
- Add the Roast Onion vinegar and turn up the heat to reduce and
concentrate the flavour.
- Sprinkle on the plain flour and stir well, cook gently for 5
- Gradually add the stock stirring well to ensure a smooth textured
- Simmer for a further 5 minutes
- Check and adjust the seasoning and consistency if required.
- Turn on grill to its highest setting
- Spoon into ovenproof bowls and scatter over the grated cheese.
- Place under the hot grill for a couple of minutes until the cheese
is golden brown.