Burren Balsamics Shepherd’s Pie
- 500g Minced Lamb
- 200g White Onion peeled & diced
- 200g Carrots peeled & diced
- 100g Turnip peeled & diced
- 500ml Water
- 20g Tomato Puree
- 10g Beef Stock Paste
- 20g Plain Flour
- 30ml Burren Balsamics Balsamic Reduction
- Salt & Freshly Milled Pepper
- Heat a suitable sized saucepan over a moderate heat then add the minced lamb stirring well to break up.
- Add the prepared vegetables and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the stock powder and tomato puree and mix well.
- Gradually add the water and Balsamic Reduction, increase the temperature to bring up to the boil, reduce and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Check and adjust the seasoning and consistency if required.
- Tip into a suitable oven sized dish, and chill
Root Vegetable Topping
- 200g Potatoes peeled & diced
- 150g Carrots peeled & diced
- 75g Turnips peeled & diced
- 75g Parsnips peeled & diced
- 30g Butter
- Place the prepared vegetables into a suitable sized pot, over with cold water and place on the cooker over a high heat.
- When boiling add a little salt and reduce to simmer for approx 25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- When cooked drain in a colander shaking well to dry out the vegetables.
- Return to the pan and mash well add the butter and check the seasoning.
- Use to top the pie and rough up the surface with a fork.
NB: for a softer richer textured mash add a little double cream when mashing.